Thursday, June 13, 2013

Email letter dated February 6, 2013 'Service'

February 6, 2013

Dear Family,
Hello all,

Last Wednesday was spent rendering service to Rosi and her family as they moved into a new house. In my opinion they should have stayed where they were because in this new house there is not water or electricity and there is a giant termite nest in one of the rooms slowly eating everything wooden and when it rains the run off from the roof enters the house due to an unfinished part...regardless of all the set backs they needed to move and we helped. in the morning we went and helped clean the house and in the afternoon helped move all their belongings. The new house was only about a quarter mile away from the old house and they are a small family with few possessions so we thought we could do it no problem. Well after a few hours of hauling all the stuff we regretted not trying to find others to help and not working harder to find someone with a truck to help. We were so tired we could only go a few feet at a time as we carried the very slippery and greasy stove to the house. It helps to have a good sense of humor in situations like that. I'm pretty sure I destroyed the white shirt that I was wearing but that's okay. We helped them get settled enough to be able to sleep in the new house and we made them dinner: rice and eggs. Since then they have organized everything but still don't have water so they bring gallon jugs to our house every once in a while to get water because we always have water. They are borrowing electricity from the neighbors with an extension cord until they can set up a contract with the electric company which seems like it will take some time seeing as how Rosi lost her job last week...the owner of the business she was working for fired her because she just doesn't like Rosi...she didn't even tell her she was fired. she just found and hired her replacement and Rosi heard from a member that works there. Working in this country is very different and the people don't have a lot of rights. it was unfair, unjust and without reasonable cause.

We've been doing a fair amount of contacting this week seeing as we have zero investigators progressing or coming to church. We are continuing to teach Rosi but it is a slow process as she puts all the things of her life in harmony with the gospel. We made several what I thought were promising contacts on Friday and put appointments for yesterday with several of them but for whatever reason all the appointments fell through.....It is necessary that there be opposition in all things but wow that really womps! I've been a little down lately due to all the difficulties here in the mission and especially in Cotui. Cotui is a small branch that needs a lot of help and to be honest it would be hard to say that the church is even established here thus making it hard to do missionary work or at least missionary work in the sense of bringing new people to the gospel and baptizing. I think that missionary work here is to establish strong leaders and help this little branch be stronger and more faithful. It sounds a lot easier than it really is....

Carnaval is in full swing. it's a giant party that happens every year in February and it involves costumes and music and dancing and a lot of other things that I don't know. I hope to learn more about it as the festival progresses. Here in La Vega has the second biggest carnaval celebration in the world and it is international. the number one carnaval is in Brazil. A lot of members condemn carnaval because of all the bad things that happen: drinking, drugs, violence.....I'm sure they are right but I think there should be at least a few redeeming qualities. we shall see....

Life is hot and life is sweaty. enjoy the cold weather and if you complain about it being cold I promise to give you a good karate chop when I get home because I would love to have a little bit of that cold weather.

Elder Robinson

No comments:

Post a Comment